Have you decided to try screencasting for the first time? Or are you an adept user and want to upgrade your experience with a new tool? Here we have researched and compared the 10 best screen recording software for Windows (both free and paid) to help you find an ideal fit for your specific needs.
While versions of recording software differ in price and functionality, most share a number of features such as:
- adjustable video frame
- cut-and-paste editing options
- unlimited recording time
- direct link to social media
Which tool should you use for making an effective video tutorial, marketing your business to online customers, or even recording a new maneuver in your favorite game? This short list is all you need to make an informed decision and start creating.
Free Screen Recording Software That Saves Money
Have you tackled numerous trial versions and received nothing close to the bang for the buck you expected? Or are you simply looking to save some money? In either case, there are plenty of free screen recorders that can get your job done with the most satisfying results and without emptying your wallet. A word of caution, though; some may urge a paid upgrade after you have already downloaded a “free” tool.
Here, we have compiled five safe and, at the same time, outstanding free screen recorders that successfully compete with the best paid screen recorders.
1. iSpring Free Cam
iSpring Free Cam is a really simple free screen recorder with a built-in audio/video editor. The attractive and intuitive interface allows you to create screencasts with the ease of a professional. Even though this software is free, it doesn’t place any watermark and it’s ad-free.
- no watermark, time limits and ads
- records voice-overs and computer sounds
- high-quality resolution
- users can save videos as WMV or upload them directly to YouTube
- easily deletes unwanted fragments of video
- removes background noise
- wide selection of audio effects
- saves recordings to WMV only
- no webcam recording
Download iSpring Free Cam now →
Watch this demo to see what you can do with iSpring Free Cam:
2. DVDVideoSoft’s Free Screen Video Recorder
Free Screen Video Recorder is a full-featured but lightweight free screen recorder from a developer known for its free conversion software. It is capable of recording Skype conversations without any limitations and, therefore, useful for Skype interviews and online conference calls. Similarly, different applications for Windows can be singled out and captured as discrete elements. Included is a basic and user-friendly image editor, surprisingly helpful for attaining a polished look.
- offers a convenient screenshot feature
- different modes for recording screen and video
- suitable for recording Skype conversations
- step-by-step instructions provided on the website
- available in 10 languages
- output formats include BMP, TGA, JPEG, PNG, and GIF
- microphone sound recording only
- excessive ads may interrupt your work
- saves recordings to AVI only
- lacks coherent interface and built-in media player
- may install unwanted software during download
- does not notify users if disconnection occurs
ShareX is an open-source ad-free tool that boasts almost as many custom features as some paid software screen recorders. ShareX is mostly targeted towards developers and power users, so an average customer might be lost in the cornucopia of advanced tools and editors.
- records full screen, window, monitor, region, freehand, or scrolling
- incorporates hotkeys for easier and quicker navigation
- supports many URL sharing services
- imports existing videos, music, or photos
- custom watermarks and color effects
- low quality of game recording
- complicated for an average user
- no webcam recording
- reported to fail while uploading large files
- no video editor
CamStudio is a good choice for one-time or occasional users with minimal editing needs. This lightweight, open-source screen recording software creates videos in AVI format that can later be converted to SWF. While its compactness appeals to some, others call for further development and increased technical support.
- creates a screen-in-screen video
- converts AVI format into Flash
- allows you to create small size files
- custom cursor
- available quality options for output video
- reported to spread harmful viruses and malware
- output is incompatible with certain browsers
- audio falls out of sync
- SWF files may slow down your computer
- lack of interactive and animation features
- minimal tech support
Ezvid claims to be the world’s easiest screen recorder, and they may be not too far away from the truth. Ezvid’s clarity is enhanced by the product’s speed: specifically designed to save users’ time, it will help you to produce and upload videos directly to YouTube in a matter of minutes. That is why the tool enjoys notoriety among gamers and movie fans who are interested in frequently making video clips in the quickest manner possible.
- offers computer speech for narrative purposes
- automatic high-quality resolution (1280 x 720p HD)
- speed control over output videos
- sleek and modern interface
- instantaneous upload to YouTube
- selection of popular music tracks included
- reviewers report extraneous noise
- minor bugs and inconsistencies
- fullscreen game is not available
Paid Screen Recording Software That We Love
The Internet’s bountiful supply of screen recording products means one is bound to find free and low-cost options. However when searching for high quality performance, elaborate presentation, and expert technical support, many users are ready to invest their money in paid software. Here are six paid screen recorders that have gained customers’ and reviewers’ trust and now continue to expand their eminent presence in the market.